Monday, April 16, 2007

Zaccardelli's Legacy

I laughed-off my armchair tonight, watching poor Giuliano Zaccardelli claim that he never disciplined any whistle-blowers inside the RCMP. It provoked laughters from rank-and-file RCMP staffers at the back of the room. See the story. I hope he gets a taste of his own medicine and pays the price of betraying the integrity of Canada's longest-lasting symbol of pride.

But at this point, I'm starting to wonder if the RCMP shoudln't be dismanteled and rebuilt from the ground-up, just like the Sureté-du-Québec was forced to do a few years ago, as the only way to reclaim its legitimacy.

Zaccardelli is the perfect example of how Jean Chretien ran Ottawa: remember who put you there, and do as I say. End result: he controlled the RCMP just like Duplessis ran the Quebec Provincial Police. Zaccardelli should have stepped down the minute Chretien did. Instead, his dishonesty has cast a shadow on the entire force.

3 comments:

Canadianna said...

Sadly, I agree.

The Angry Reporter/Reporter en Colère said...

Funny how we're not that far apart :-)

It should always be about ideas, and not personality.

As for Zaccardelli, I wouldn't even trust him as a night-guard at my local ATM.

Ryan R said...

Love the Chretien/Zaccardelli quips, AR. Good stuff. :D