Monday, April 16, 2007

Sad news from Virginia

I can't believe there's been another school shooting, this time in Virginia 33 dead so far! And I can remember how we all panicked in Montreal over the single-death at the Dawson College shooting last September.

My brother was inside the Polytechnique School He's still marked by it to this day! I wonder how college kids will now feel everytime they take their books and head to school.

In Quebec, the problem was narrowed-down to ethnicity, according to a Globe-and-Mail columnist. Jan Wong. I wonder if she'll blame Quebec Nationalists this time.

Of course, I bet the Gun Lobby is already preparing a statement to make sure no one ever questions the necessity of gun-control. After all, guns don't kill people, right?

Uh...wait.

Yes they do!

2 comments:

Canadianna said...

Maybe if it was as simple as ethnicity, we could do something about it.
I hate guns too.
How did your brother go back? I don't know if I could -- or especially if I could let my kids go back.
It's tragic.

Ryan R said...

This incident has honestly made me wonder if an outright handgun ban would be wise.

I know that many hunters (including my own father during hunting season) rely on rifles to hunt, and they enjoy hunting, and hence I don't think that they should suffer for the madness of a few.

However, I can't think of something that a handgun provides that a rifle can't... except it's much easier to use to kill humans than rifles are.

Maybe we should let responsible hunters (like my father) keep rifles, but do away with hand-guns.

If Cho was relying on a rifle, he probably would have been taken down while he was left temporarily disoriented after taking the first blistering shot...